Friday, July 22, 2011

Whiny Does Not Work!

I admit it – I am a bit whiny today.  It is 103 degrees with a heat index of 116 in Philly right now.  I used to live in Texas and it got HOT there.  But here there is so much more humidity and no central air conditioning so I am whiny today.  I have worked inside all day near my window unit air conditioner.  It is still not very cool.  So I am whiny.  And the truth is – it is not working for me.  Whining has not made it cooler or more comfortable.  Whining has not made me happy or helped me feel better.  But I have whined nonetheless.

The reality is – I am lucky.  I have a home, an air conditioner, and the money to pay the bill (I hope. Though I do live in fear of my next PECO bill).  I am lucky that I do not work outside or rely on the weather for my livelihood.  Farmers all over the country are losing crops and entire growing seasons.  The elderly and poor are suffering without resources to stay cool.  Dozens of heat related deaths have already occurred.   In some areas – the heat is joined with months of no rain and wildfires to boot.  The toll this heat wave is taking on our country and its people is incredible.

Today I awoke to hear about bombings in Oslo, Norway, the continuing squabbles over the debt ceiling in America, and more insanity – from a 51 year old actor marrying a 16 year old to the hacking scandal enveloping England and beyond.  There is a lot of stuff going on in the world that is downright crazy serious.  There are people unemployed and children sick with preventable diseases, yet we continue to make decisions that keep the poor in poverty and allow the rich to get richer without paying their fair share.  And we allow those with few resources fend for themselves.

I saw this status update on Facebook yesterday, “I was going to complain about how hot it is, then I realized that: 1) It isn't really 109 degrees; 2) I'm not 5,700 miles from home; 3) I'm not dressed in a full BDU uniform and helmet and carrying 70+ lbs.; and 4) There is very little chance that anyone will shoot at me or that I might drive over a bomb in the road today! Thanks to all who serve. Repost so they all know how thankful we are for our Freedom!”  It was another reminder that we are extraordinarily lucky and blessed.  I need to remember that – and that whining isn’t going to keep me cool.

So thank you to those folks to labor in this heat.  Thank you to the farmers and farm workers whose livelihood is so connected to the Earth and her temperatures.  Thank you to the leaders who remember the needs of the poor and elderly when they make decisions.  Thank you to those who work for social change to make the Earth and her inhabitants our priority.  Thank you to those who care for those effected by the heart – doctors, nurses, medical personnel, EMS personnel, and volunteers for various organizations around the globe working to make life better.

I may get whiny now and then – but I hope that in those moments I remember others and all that they endure.  May I work alongside them to create the Kindom that God intends – where the needs of others are important to all.  Whiny won’t help anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment