Monday, September 26, 2011

Being Too Full for Words


I have not posted in a bit and there is a legitimate reason … I promise.  I could not find words to express the past 10+ days of my life.  Sometimes we are so full from the buffet of blessings and smorgasbord of experiences that we cannot find words to speak.  That is what I experienced the past few weeks.  It was something I will not soon forget.  My cup runneth over ...

My seminary faculty had a retreat away from campus weekend before last that was a blessed time of reflection, camaraderie, and visioning.  We discussed some important topics for the future, found some time to toss around a Frisbee and had a blast together as friends and colleagues.  On Wednesday a group in Philadelphia I am working with, Neighborhood Partners to End Gun Violence, held a rally naming the 186 persons killed by gun violence in our city since Jan. 1, 2011 at City Hall with t-shirts representing all of them.  This was a moving and emotional day as I was asked to read 50 of the 186 names.  Just thinking about the lives cut short, the relationships not solidified and the futures not realized was stunningly poignant.  On Friday I taught a workshop on Preaching, Hunger and Justice to persons preaching on the issue on World Food Day in October.  It was so amazing to be in the same room with these folks who are so committed to alleviating hunger and poverty.  On Saturday I watched my pre-teen son play soccer with several family members – one of whom had never seen him play.  It was delightful to listen to the kids and parents scream with passion and energy.  We even had a DirectTV blimp flying overhead (although I think they were there for another reason).  On Sunday evening I was at the organizing convention of P.O.W.E.R – Philadelphians Organized to Witness, Empower and Rebuild with almost 3,000 other people working with 40+ churches and communities of faith to improve job availability, education, health care, housing, and public safety in the city of Philadelphia.  It was an awesome sight to see this interfaith gathering of folks committed to justice making for the people of Philly.  The week also included my regular teaching schedule, faculty gatherings on several topics, church committee work, and student conversations.   My cup runneth over ...

It was a full week – in the amount of time that was involved for these projects and activities AND in the emotional investment so many put into these events.  So many times last week I said the words, “Lord, help me be open to all you are blessing me with this week.  Help me be your vessel.”  There were days I came home bone tired and very weary.  But at the end of every one of those days – I knew how blessed I was to participate in the events and activities I had been part of.   My cup runneth over ...

The week was full – in so many ways.  And I thank God for allowing me to be part of all of it.  Even when I had no words to express my emotions – the fullness of my life is a blessing. My cup runneth over! I am so grateful that I have work, a family, a life, and a faith community that fills me with blessings all the time.   My cup runneth over ... What a joy!  I’ll take full anyday!

1 comment:

  1. The good news - when your cup runneth over, the rest of us get splashed. What a gift you are to the world, Karyn!

    ReplyDelete